Save and load prefab error message.

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
Gee85

Re: Save and load prefab error message.

Post by Gee85 »

I have sent you a copy of my exact test project at its current state. It will likely be an error in my coding, I will continue to see if I can find the fault in the meantime =)
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Thanks for sending me over your project, and for your patience.

This bug was a hard one to track down but it turned out to be an issue with how we resolve local references in a prefab into global references.

I'll PM you a fix for this right away.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Gee85

Post by Gee85 »

No worries. Happy to help if it makes the project better for all. I think we all appreciate how powerful Easy Save actually is and how good it actually is to use. Take all the time you need in future =)

Regards,
Gee
mventura

Post by mventura »

Hi, I am having the same problem with the prefab saving but not loading. I have enabled the prefab to be saved (ES3 prefab script component). I get the following error:

UnityEngine.MissingReferenceException: Prefab with ID 7861520719684144489 could not be found.

I can get a gameobejct to save and load but not the same gameobject as a prefab.

I am using Playmaker.

Thanks,
Matthew
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Please could you create a new project which replicates the issue, without any excess code so we can narrow down the issue, and PM me a link to it?

All the best,
Joel
mventura

Post by mventura »

Ok I sent you a PM with a link to a project. I also wanted to get your opinion on if ES3 will work for my game. My game involves parenting multiple prefabs to other prefabs in a tree like structure. I also have a level editor so I need to save these user made nested prefabs. Writing the code to save the parent-child relationships among the prefabs was getting to be very complicated so I thought I could use ES3 to save the user made nested prefabs gameobjects (since ES3 appears to save all children of gameobjects). Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks,
Matthew
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi Matthew,

I've managed to replicate your issue and have PM'd you a fix.

With regards to your use case, it's should support doing this, but as it's still in beta we're still working out the different ways that people organise their projects. The best thing to do is to give it a try. And if it doesn't work, send me a project which reproduces it so I can see how your project is organised, and hopefully modify Easy Save 3 to work in the way you want it to.

All the best,
Joel
mventura

Post by mventura »

Thanks Joel, I can now save a cube prefab that already exists in the scene and if instantiate the cube prefab I can save it. However when I instantiate a UI gameobject from my game and then try to save it I get this error in the save action.

System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

However, I can see the gameobject variable is loaded in the the Save action.

I narrowed it down so something weird about my gameobject as I could save without error on a simple instantiated image UI gameobject. My UI gameobject is an image with scripts on it as well as two children (one text and one button). The button has a script on it. I tried adding the ES3 prefab to all the children but that didn't work either. If you want I can send you a another project with my specific UI gameobject.

Also I kept having to clear the data path to test out different saves on the same key. If I did not I got this error:

System.FormatException: Missing closing brace detected, as end of stream was reached before finding it.

Thanks for your help!
Matthew
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi Matthew,

If you could send me a project which reproduces this and instructions I'll be happy to look into it.

Also with regards to the file becoming corrupted, during the beta get it to write out the data to the file regardless of if saving failed as this provides us with important debugging information. However, in release this will not be the case, so you will not need to delete the file when it reaches release.

All the best,
Joel