Are profiles for Auto Save supported for use with Playmaker?

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
svansetten

Are profiles for Auto Save supported for use with Playmaker?

Post by svansetten »

Hi,

I bought Easy Save 3 yesterday and so far I'm very happy with it. I have one question.

Is it possible to use different profiles for use with Auto Save (and Playmaker)?

I use VRIF (a VR framework) in my game and everything is made with Playmaker (and without coding). I want to keep the inventory in my holsters when I load the next scene. I can keep my health, inventory and position using AutoSave when I exit and restart the game, that works perfectly. But when I load the next scene, I only want to keep my health and inventory (and of course, not the position).

I know how to access the health and position via ES3Save command, but the inventory is in a C# script. With AutoSave it works perfectly - it automatically grabs it somehow - but I can't access it seperately. Therefor a second profile (and more if possible) would be perfect for my situation. Is this supported?

Another option would be to use AutoSave only for my inventory and make the others possible with basic ES3Save.. but just want to make sure I can't use profiles. This would spare a lot of time and hassle.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sander
The Netherlands
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Are profiles for Auto Save supported for use with Playmaker?

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

If by 'profile' you mean creating multiple save files, this is indeed possible. You simply need to change the settings.path field of the ES3AutoSaveMgr Component attached to the Easy Save 3 Manager. You can do this using PlayMaker's Set Property action (see screenshot).

However, it's not possible to save different things to each file using Auto Save. In this case you would need to use the Save and Load actions instead so that you can choose which variables get saved. I would recommend taking this approach.

All the best,
Joel
Attachments
ChangeAutoSavePath.PNG
ChangeAutoSavePath.PNG (17.1 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
svansetten

Post by svansetten »

Hi Joel

thank you for your very fast reply.. and even on a Sunday 8-)

I didn’t mean multiple save files. What I mean is different versions of auto save. For example AutoSave1 is inventory, health and position, and AutoSave2 is only inventory and health. Then if you could load LoadSave1 or LoadSave2, depending on the situation in the game, my problem should be solved.

Or as alternative, if I could save the inventory script somehow via a playmaker action, that would work too. But I couldn’t find this in de guide/manual?

Regards

Sander
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

It's not possible to have different versions of Auto Save. You would need to use the Save action and Load action to save and load the specific variables you want, and only load the position when you want to.

The PlayMaker actions are documented in the PlayMaker actions reference:
https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es ... -overview/

All the best,
Joel
svansetten

Post by svansetten »

Hi Joel,

yes I understand and I know the Playmaker actions. But how can I save a script (part of a gameobject) with a Playmaker action?

Regards,

Sander
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You would put your Component into a PlayMaker variable and then save this. Simply set the 'key' field to something unique, and set the 'value' field to your variable.

And then to load, simply use the same key and variable in the Load action.

All the best,
Joel
svansetten

Post by svansetten »

Hi Joel,

I looked into your message and tried to use Get Property, Set Property, Get Component. But I don't know what to do..

I have two screenshots attached. On the inspector, I just want to save the "Starting / Held Item" during gameplay and load it afterwards when needed. How can I save this? (to a variable as you mention?)

Regards,

Sander
Attachments
Inspector.jpg
Inspector.jpg (104.71 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Hierarchy.jpg
Hierarchy.jpg (38.57 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You would use GetProperty/SetProperty to do this. If you are having difficulties with using these you will need to contact PlayMaker as these actions are part of their functionality rather than ours.

Once you have the item into a variable, you would use the Save action to save it (using the variable you put your property into as the 'value' parameter).

Then to load, you would use the same 'key' and 'value' as you used to save the data. Once loaded, you would then use the Set Property action to assign it back to your property.

All the best,
Joel
svansetten

Post by svansetten »

Hi Joel,

as you know that I should use the GetProperty/SetProperty actions for this, is it then too much asked to tell what I should fill in in the fields to convert to a variable? This is my one and only question after buying your asset. The goal is to save my data and that is what I bought EasySave3 for.

Regards,

Sander
svansetten

Post by svansetten »

PS: I know how the save and load works.. I have health and checkpoints in global variables and save and load works perfect for them. The only thing I ask is the “held item” in inventory on the inspector screenshot.