Hang Time

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
SpriteFight

Hang Time

Post by SpriteFight »

I am loading (obscenely) large files for a dictionary, I split the words in to letters and each letter is its own file. It loaded promptly and without so much as a sniffle of effort with Easy Save 2, with Easy save 3, its hanging for millisecond when it opens the dictionary for that letter.

1. Will this go away when easy save 3 is out of beta.
2. Will I need to purchase an upgrade to 3 when it is released.

This project is due by January and I can use it as it is with the current hang time but would like to know if I need to spend time to divide my dictionary further or if this is planed to be resolved.

Thanks for your time :)
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Hang Time

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Would you be able to show me the code you're using for both Easy Save 2 and Easy Save 3 so I can try to work out what the difference is? As far as I'm aware there should be no differences.

Also just to clarify, Easy Save 3 will be a free update for all users.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
SpriteFight

Post by SpriteFight »

One difference is that I was using just file loading before, from application.path, which worked fine in the editor, but when I went to play on compiled, it didn't like it (couldnt find the file), Which is when I switched to using the resources folder. I actually couldn't get it to work in resources with es2 (with bytes), I have no idea why. So I switched to es3 to see if it would work and it did. So, could the difference be between loading from resources vs file?

//Settings are for file
Words = ES2.LoadList<WordDictionaryEntry>(Application.dataPath + "Dictionary/" + letter + "Words.w4w", settings);

//settings are for resources
Words = ES3.Load<List<WordDictionaryEntry>>(letter, "Dictionary/" + letter + "Words.bytes",settings);
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

This would explain the difference in performance, because when loading from Resources, Unity has to load and decompress the data.

Loading from Resources should work the same in ES2 and is ES3, so if you show me the code you were using to load from Resources in ES2 I'll be happy to see if there's anything wrong.

Also note that in most cases, Application.dataPath will not exist at runtime.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
SpriteFight

Post by SpriteFight »

That is why I switched to using resources. Looks like that is what caused the hang, not switching to e3. No worries. I will just split the letters further.