Black text

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
PsyChillDev

Re: Black text in ver 2.8.5

Post by PsyChillDev »

I'm having this problem of text turning to black too. I think I'm on version 3.0. That's what the asset store downloader says, but there is an Easy Save 2 folder in my project, and also a Plugins/Easy Save 2 and Easy Save 3 folders. I'm suspicious that this is a Unity asset import issue, as I have imported numerous packages on many projects, and never encountered this before. I saw this on the very first test project I created after downloading Easy Save yesterday, then saw it again after importing it into a production project, which also has other packages previously imported with no issues.

Once the text turns black, you can get it to revert to the original colors by fiddling with stuff, but then as soon as you hit Play again, the text turns back to black.

@hawken suggested this might be an issue with changing the text.material.color on the Default UI Material, so I tried that, changing it via code at runtime, and it did change the colour of everything that used the material, so I don't think that is the cause. You can see the color on that material remains white when the text turns black.

I tried changing the Canvas Scaler scale factor as suggested by @Joel, but that has no effect.

Do you guys know for sure the cause of this, and have references to open bugs with Unity?

Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me. I need something I can just drop in and have it work hassle free.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Cannot install ES3 and black text

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

I've moved your post to this existing thread where this issue is discussed. As mentioned in the previous post, this is a bug at Unity's end, and the bug report can be found here: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp ... 58jai699om

They claim to have fixed it in Unity 2018, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

However, we've created a workaround. If you PM me your invoice number, I'll create an update package which applies this workaround.

Also note that downloading Easy Save from the Asset Store includes Easy Save 2 and 3.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
wheretheidivides

Black text

Post by wheretheidivides »

So I have easy save 2 in my project. It is on the play store. Now with unity 2018.1 out, I upgraded. Then I deleted easy save 2 and put in the latest easy save 3 version from the unity asset store. Now when I run the game, all of the text is black. I went back to a old copy on unity 2017.4 and it did the same thing. So there is something in easy save causing the text to be all black.

- When the project opens, the text is fine
- When the game is played in the editor, the text turns black
- When the game stops the text stays black
- With black text, then change scenes then the text is still black
- Whith black text you save the scene and the text is good again.
- During a scene when the text is black, if one tries to change the color it will not change. It stays black during the game play

I know this sounds weird, but I just verified this with unity 2017.4 and unity 2018.1. It's OK now with easy save 2 version I have installed. Once I upgrade to the latest easy save 3, it happens. I did report this to unity. I did find a couple of other people with the issue which is how I was able to track it down.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (101.19 KiB) Viewed 5533 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Cannot install ES3 and black text

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

I've moved your post to this topic as this subject is already covered here.

This is a bug at Unity's end. If you PM me your invoice number I will send you an update with a workaround.

All the best,
Joel
jinxology

Re: Black text

Post by jinxology »

I'm having the same issue. Updated to ES3 and now all my text is black :( :( :(
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

jinxology wrote:I'm having the same issue. Updated to ES3 and now all my text is black :( :( :(
Hi there,

The update is now included in the latest version of Easy Save. You simply need to go to Window > Easy Save 3 > Settings and uncheck Auto Update References.

Because this disables automatic reference updating, you may need to occasionally press the Refresh References button on the ES3ReferenceMgr script of the Easy Save 3 Manager object in your scene.

All the best,
Joel
whism001

Post by whism001 »

Hi Moodkie, just purchased Easy Save, and looks promising.... However, seem to have come up against the curse of the black text. Went through the forum to see if solution exists and found the "You simply need to go to Window > Easy Save 3 > Settings and uncheck Auto Update References." which seems easy..... However it will not allow me to do so...
When click the box get the error -->
ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: target
ES3Editor.SettingsWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Editor/SettingsWindow.cs:73)
ES3Editor.ES3Window.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/Easy Save 3/Editor/ES3Window.cs:101)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:342)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:336)
UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition, Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:302)
whism001

Post by whism001 »

Also added screen shot of when attempt to uncheck the box. (just in case I am doing something bloody stupid...)

PIng me if there is anythign further can send to assist.
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
Image 1.png (78.55 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

We submitted an update to the Asset Store to address this, but it looks like the Asset Store isn't distributing the new package to those who have already downloaded 3.1.0. If you PM me your invoice number I'll send over the update.

With regards to the ArgumentNullException you are getting, please could you send me a project which replicates this? I've not seen this before.

All the best,
Joel
destiny5420

Post by destiny5420 »

When i want to change anyone parameter in settings option, i got error too. "ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null. parameter name: target". My EasySave verstion is last from unity asset store. Can you help me to fix this issue? :shock: