Currently Using ES2, should I upgrade to ES3?

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
DMCH

Currently Using ES2, should I upgrade to ES3?

Post by DMCH »

Hi,

I'm currently in the early stages of developing a game. In the preceding two games, ES2 was used to good effect. The current game likely won't be fully released until 2022, so it seems like it might be a good idea to update to ES3 in order to benefit from longer term support? Currently using 2018.2.18f.

There are structural similarities between the last game and this one, so I could benefit from some extent from legacy code. Is much work required to change the code for saving data when upgrading? Thanks.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Currently Using ES2, should I upgrade to ES3?

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

I would definitely recommend using Easy Save 3 for all new projects as this will be supported for a very long time.

With regards to upgrading to Easy Save 3, the easiest way to find how would be to take a look at the Getting Started guide, as this highlights the main usage. The main differences are that the first parameter is the Key (this is like the Tag in Easy Save 2), the generic parameter is compulsory for ES3.Save, instead of ES3Writer/Reader we use ES3File, and self-assigning load is now done with the ES3.LoadInto.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started