Backwards compatibility and ES3Type

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
drHogan

Backwards compatibility and ES3Type

Post by drHogan »

Hello guys,

I finally took my time but i also moved to ES3 (we did implement ES2 saves in our game a couple of years ago - and we were very happy with it, then we had to put the save system in standby as too many things were being refactored and changed). I did read in a few places, that backwards compatibility is automatically managed by ES3, and that it's not necessary to create ES3Type files anymore.

Did I understand correctly? If so, can I save a serializable class in "classic" way without any additional file or that's only for simpler unity types? Also, is there any detail on how backwards compatibility works? (i would love to make sure before having to run a lot of tests and/or releasing)

Thanks in advance for your time,
H
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Backwards compatibility and ES3Type

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Info on what is automatically serialised in Easy Save 3 can be found here: http://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es3 ... ted-types/

Easy Save 3 now no longer performs sequential reading and instead reads the field name in the file and checks this against the class it's loading into. If that field doesn't exist, it skips it.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
drHogan

Re: Backwards compatibility and ES3Type

Post by drHogan »

Perfect, thank you very much!