Setting up webserver for ES3 cloud save?

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
Kai

Setting up webserver for ES3 cloud save?

Post by Kai »

Hey y'all, I've been working on this multiplayer game and decided I want to store some player data in the cloud. I've been using ES3 for a while, but I've never experimented with cloud save. I write the guide on the ES3 documentation, but I've never set up a web server before, so I have no idea what to do. If y'all have any good tutorials/tips for getting band setting up a webserver, I'm interested.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Setting up webserver for ES3 cloud save?

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You should contact your server provider for information on this as this differs between server providers. Specifically you should ask for information on how to access the FTP so that you can add PHP files to the server. Assuming that the server supports File I/O, you should then be able to follow the ES3Cloud instructions to install the MySQL tables automatically.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Kai

Post by Kai »

Thanks for the reply!
My game is P2P, so the game servers are hosted by players. I don't currently have any server providers, so I'm wondering where I should be shopping around for a server that would be best for this type of thing. All it's storing is all the currently hosted game servers. When someone hosts a game, I plan on it sending that data to the webserver, and then some UI in Unity copies the list of all the active servers. Then when someone closes a server, it sends all the data to the webserver again, and finds a match and removes it.
Thanks in advance,
Kai.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi Kai,

Generally in your case any server that supports MySQL, PHP (and PHP's POST and FOPEN functions) should be fine as you won't be transferring a great deal of data. I can't recommend any specific server provider, though we use UK-based Tsohost to test ES3Cloud and we've had no issues.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started