ES3/Playmaker and different slots?

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
Wabby

ES3/Playmaker and different slots?

Post by Wabby »

Hello,

I'm using Easy Save 3 actions in my project (in Unity 2018.2), it's ok for save and load actions. But I don't understand how to create different saving slots in my game.

Do I have to create different files ? If yes, how? Can you provide an exemple using Playmaker actions, please?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: ES3/Playmaker and different slots?

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

To create save slots you can use a different filename for each slot. The easiest way to do this is to create a global variable for the filename (which you change depending on what slot your user selects), and assign this variable to the Path field of all of the Easy Save actions you use. You can access the Path field by checking the Override Default Settings checkbox (see below).

All the best,
Joel
Attachments
saveAction.PNG
saveAction.PNG (16.73 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Wabby

Post by Wabby »

Ok, thank you very much for reply.

That works great :-)

So, do I need to check "Overrride Default Settings" with these parameters for all my variables I have to save? (I guess: yes)

And when I set the filename (a string type), do I have to add es3 extension ? In other words, what is the best practice (my game is running on Windows/Mac/Linux desktop)? For exemple "mysaveslot01.es3" or only "mysaveslot01".
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You would indeed need to select Override Default Settings and set the filename to your global FsmVariable for each of the actions, otherwise Easy Save won't know to load from that particular path.

Just to clarify, the extension isn't required and doesn't need to be '.es3', so you can use any string as long as it's a valid filename or path. It's usually easiest to just use 'mysaveslot01' so you don't have to worry about extensions.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Wabby

Post by Wabby »

Nice ! Thank you very much 8-)