Do I need to use encryption

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
BFRETHGIL

Do I need to use encryption

Post by BFRETHGIL »

Since all the user data is saved under an Easy save file, for example Bonuses, and scores,
it's easy to modify the file and hack the app.
In that case do I need to use your AES encryption enabled? I read that you said that most users don't use encryption with Easy save,
but why not? It means anyone can edit the file on persistent data folder and change it without encryption?

If I'm going to use that encryption- do I need to report it on App store connect (apple store)?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Do I need to use encryption

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

If you want to obfuscate the data then you will need to enable encryption.

As far as I'm currently aware, you need to report encryption to the App Store, but you should contact them for more information as I'm unable to advise on this. For information on what encryption is used, see the Encryption guide:

https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es ... ncryption/

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
BFRETHGIL

Post by BFRETHGIL »

These are the questions Apple asks me regarding the encryption Easy save uses, and this is how I answer, it made everything pretty difficult, I don't understand what documentation I need to send them

-Does your app use encryption? Select Yes even if your app only uses the standard encryption within Apple’s operating system. YES

-Does your app qualify for any of the exemptions provided in Category 5 You can select Yes for this question if the encryption of your app is: (a) Specially designed for medical end-use (b) Limited to intellectual property and copyright protection (c) Limited to authentication, digital signature, or the decryption of data or files (d) Specially designed and limited for banking use or “money transactions”; or (e) Limited to “fixed” data compression or coding techniques NO

-Does your app implement any encryption algorithms that are proprietary or not accepted as standards by international standard bodies (IEEE, IETF, ITU, etc.)? NO

-Does your app implement any standard encryption algorithms instead of, or in addition to, using or accessing the encryption within Apple’s operating system? YES

Is your app going to be available on the App Store in France? YES

Is your app designed to use cryptography or does it contain or incorporate cryptography? (Select Yes even if your app is only utilizing the encryption available within Apple’s operating system.) YES

Does your app meet any of the following: (a) Qualifies for one or more exemptions provided under Category 5 Part 2 (b) Use of encryption is limited to encryption within Apple’s operating system (c) Only makes calls over HTTPS (d) App is made available only in the U.S. and/or Canada NO

(it asks me to submit a copy of your French encryption declaration approval form- not sure what it is so I changed it to NO meanwhile
Is there a better way to encrypt the ES3 json file that is included in the ios system? I don't understand what other people do, it seems like a basic thing that you must encrypt the es3 file
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Currently Unity only provides a managed implementation of encryption (see the reply to this thread on the Unity forums), and I'm not currently aware of any way of hooking directly into the iOS encryption code.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started