What's the proper way to work with additive scenes?

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
funtomata

What's the proper way to work with additive scenes?

Post by funtomata »

Hi,
I'm wondering how I should go about using the auto saver when working with additive scenes.

I have a "SceneLoader" scene which contains some managers and is responsible for handling the loading of my actual game scenes, and when I switch to another scene, I unload the current scene, and load the new scene additively, leaving the sceneloader active.

However, I get all kinds of warnings from the autosave components. I had to switch the settings from load on "awake" to load on "start" (I actually have no idea how it ever worked on awake in the first place) in order for the data to load properly, and things seem to be working properly but I'm wondering: is it right to assume that each scene should have its own autosave manager and autosave reference manager? or should those preferably be put in my "loader" scene? I'm assuming the reference manager definitely has to be on a per-scene basis, since it otherwise wouldn't be able to do cross-scene references, but what about the auto-save manager. Is there any reason to put it in the permanent scene?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: What's the proper way to work with additive scenes?

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You should have the Easy Save Manager in every scene as otherwise there will be no way of maintaining references between scenes.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
PHF_DNG

Post by PHF_DNG »

funtomata wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:33 pm Hi,
I'm wondering how I should go about using the auto saver when working with additive scenes.

I have a "SceneLoader" scene which contains some managers and is responsible for handling the loading of my actual game scenes, and when I switch to another scene, I unload the current scene, and load the new scene additively, leaving the sceneloader active.
I'm thinking of taking this approach as well. So do you have a Player prefab in each scene or is it the same one from the start of the game using DontDestroyOnLoad?
matmalm

Post by matmalm »

Joel wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:03 pm Hi there,

You should have the Easy Save Manager in every scene as otherwise there will be no way of maintaining references between scenes.

All the best,
Joel
Should I also have the ES Manager in the master scene?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

That is correct.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started