Having trouble getting stuff to work between scenes

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
datchcole

Having trouble getting stuff to work between scenes

Post by datchcole »

I finally got save and load to work great in one scene, but as soon as I try to save and load across scenes I run into trouble. I was having a problem with a variable from the Dialogue Manager asset from the Unity store not saving a bool variable value across scenes, but now I also get the error if I save and then try to switch scenes:

Code: Select all

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
mandatoryCathedralForcer.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/mandatoryCathedralForcer.cs:51)
Also here is what I use for saving and loading Dialogue System variables, which saves in its own scene but not across scenes.

s = SaveSystem.Serialize(SaveSystem.RecordSavedGameData());
ES3.Save("dialogueState" , s);

PersistentDataManager.ApplySaveData (ES3.Load<string> ("dialogue"));
Also here is my general save code:

public void Save(){

ES3.Save(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name, "savedScene");
		ES3.Save( "playerPosition", player.transform.position);
		ES3.Save("inventory", player.GetComponent<inventoryManager>().inventoryArray);
		ES3AutoSaveMgr.Current.Save();
		//save current dialogue system state//
		s = SaveSystem.Serialize(SaveSystem.RecordSavedGameData());
		ES3.Save("dialogueState" , s);

ES3.Save<string> ("dialogue", PersistentDataManager.GetSaveData ());

///////

notifyImage.SetActive(true);
		notifyImage.GetComponent<Animator>().SetBool("isFading", true);
		pauseMenu.SetActive(false);

}
I've attached my script that's giving me the error as well. Please let me know if I need to include any more info. Thank you for any advice!
Attachments
mandatoryCathedralForcer.cs
(4.98 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
datchcole

Re: Having trouble getting stuff to work between scenes

Post by datchcole »

Actually disregard the NullReferenceException Error part of my question. I haven't quite figured out what's responsible for that (my scene load spawns two fpsControllers as well among other things...somehow). I'm not sure if it's Easy Save related. But I would still very much want more guidance about saving and loading between scenes.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Please could you separate out this line:

PersistentDataManager.ApplySaveData (ES3.Load<string> ("dialogue"));
Into this and let me know what it outputs to console:

var str = ES3.Load<string> ("dialogue");
Debug.Log(str);
PersistentDataManager.ApplySaveData (str);
All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
datchcole

Post by datchcole »

Here's what I get (sorry I have a lot of variables haha):

Variable={Alert="", givenUpstairsKey=false, PreviouslySelected=false, PreviouslySelectedNameBig=false, PreviouslySelectedServantBig=false, PreviouslySelectedMeaningtBig=false, PreviouslySelectedStationBig=false, bigBlueHaventMet=true, askedOneBigBlueQuestion=false, bigBlueTalkedtoothpick=false, bigBlueinBreakRoom=false, bigBlueSelectedGoThrough=false, metToothpick=false, metBlueFirst=false, breakroomResolved=false, blockPermissionGiven=false, givenBreakroomQuest=false, blueDisableFirstMeeting=false, blueDisableSecondMeeting=false, curiousLooping=true, curiousFirstPass=false, curiousGone=false, confusedGone=false, hyperGone=false, pinkEnterCombat=false, defeatedPink=false, toothPassthrough=false, toothDontNeedToTell=false, toothGivenBlockQuest=false, givenBlockObject=false, toothBackroomPermission=false, toothFinishedDialogue=false, toothBigBlueAsked=false, toothBlueAsked=false, toothDupeAsked=false, toothWhereAreWe=false, toothWhatAreYou=false, toothWhatAreThese=false, toothNoThanks=false, netielFirstConvoFinish=false, bigChapelQuestAsked=false, bigSecondConvoStarted=false, bigBossQuest=false, bigFrontDeskQuest=false, toothDoneTalking=false, bigToothStarted=false, chapelPermission=false, askedChapel=false, toothAskedOutFirst=false, toothLooksLikeYou=false, officeKeyGet=false, BigObserverRemarked=false, toothOffended=false, toothLookedLikeYou=false, tookDownPainting=false, finishedOilObConvo=false, paintingPermission=false, oilPermission=false, haveOil=false, canStand=false, servedMult=false, askedPrimo=false, askedMother=false, lobbyDatchDone=false, lobbyObsDone=false, toothEavesdropped=false, prayer2Done=false, prayer1Done=false, treeObDone=false, playfulDone=false, statueDone=false, lobbyObDone=false, paintingObDone=false, toothOBDone=false, checkDatchDone2=false, prayStairDone=false, gradStairDone=false, bronzeDone=false, bigThink=false, bigGesture=false, netTalk=false, netThink=false, netShadowAsked=false, blueTalk=false, blueGesture=false, lobbyDatchDone2=false, papersDone=false, computerDatchDone=false, toothGesture=false, toothTalk=false, toothFace=false, Actor="", Conversant="", ActorIndex="", ConversantIndex=""};
Actor={Player={Name="Player", Pictures="[]", Description="oooh It you!", IsPlayer=true}, Toothpick={Name="Toothpick", Pictures="[]", Description="Animate doll of an entity far away, loves to mess with player", IsPlayer=false}, Blue={Name="Blue", Pictures="[]", Description="Serves the Amalgamate, forced to tolerate Toothpick", IsPlayer=false}, Pink={Name="Pink", Pictures="[]", Description="Loyal, crazed servant of Toothpick", IsPlayer=false}, Big_Blue={Name="Big Blue", Pictures="[]", Description="Chill servant. Not very smart, but one of the kindest residents of the towers.", IsPlayer=false}, Dupe={Name="Dupe", Pictures="[]", Description="Pale Pink Servant whose lost their mind for the most part", IsPlayer=false}, ObserverCurious={Name="ObserverCurious", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, ObserverConfused={Name="ObserverConfused", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, ObserverHyper={Name="ObserverHyper", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, Netiel={Name="Netiel", Pictures="[]", Description="Amalgamate angel", IsPlayer=false}, ObserverChapel={Name="ObserverChapel", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, ChilllinServant={Name="ChilllinServant", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, observerOil={Name="observerOil", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, Needs_Oil={Name="Needs Oil", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, noPortrait={Name="noPortrait", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, Gradient_Datch={Name="Gradient Datch", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, Checkered_Datch={Name="Checkered Datch", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, ["???"]={Name="???", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, Bronze={Name="Bronze", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, Praying_Amalgamate={Name="Praying Amalgamate", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}, Observer={Name="Observer", Pictures="[]", Description="", IsPlayer=false}}; StatusTable = ""; RelationshipTable = ""; 
I also found out the other issue I was having was from Easy Save. Clearing the persistent data path fixed it for now. I probably caused the issue trying to save and load between scenes, so I just need to figure out how to do it properly 🤔
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

This indicates that Easy Save is saving and loading the data correctly, so the issue will be with the serializer you are using (which unfortunately we cannot assist with).

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
datchcole

Post by datchcole »

Gotcha. I'll keep working on it. Thank you for your help.