EasySave adds over 4 million lines to scene file

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
DeliInteractive

EasySave adds over 4 million lines to scene file

Post by DeliInteractive »

Hi again!

We love EasySave but are struggling with an extremely slow and bloated scene file. Changes to the scene, saving the scene, and changes to prefabs that are in the scene, can take minutes to propagate. I inspected our main scene file and found one or two key-value-pairing data structures attached to a monobehavior on EasySave, occupying 4.1 million lines, or about 68% of our scene file's 200 MB size.

The other devs on the team tell me that this is likely the references being saved. We don't automatically let all monobehaviors and properties get serialized by EasySave, but it still produces an astronomical and likely unscalable output. Is there something that we should be doing to reduce the size of our EasySave object? I know plenty of games have shipped with EasySave, so I feel like I'm doing something wrong here.

Edit: maybe related, maybe not, but we do also encounter a lot of conflicts and changes to EasySave objects and settings without having necessarily touched them. I can push a commit to our git repo, open our project, close it, and have some more changes flagged by SourceTree which can be committed and pushed once again.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: EasySave adds over 4 million lines to scene file

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Firstly just to check, are you using the latest version of Easy Save?

Also have you tried pressing the Optimize References button on the ES3ReferenceMgr Component of the Easy Save 3 Manager in your scene?

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
DeliInteractive

Post by DeliInteractive »

Hey Joel!

We did indeed try updating Easy Save and optimizing references, and unfortunately it had no affect on the crazy scene size or in speeding up the increasingly slow editor.

With that said, we did recently try deleting the Easy Save Manager and re-added it it via "Add Manager to Scene" and suddenly our scene size went back to a much more normal size (from 200 MB to 34 MB) and the editor is much more responsive again. We are worried about this potentially coming up again in future though, given that deleting the manager like this breaks older saves. Any ideas what might have caused something like this to happen? Perhaps some source control merge weirdness?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

If you have disabled ‘Auto add references to manager’ and ‘Add all prefabs to manager’ in the Settings then Easy Save will not add anything else to the manager. If you still see bloat happening after these are disabled, it would indeed point to something external such as source control causing bloat.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started