Will EasySave ever officially integrate Assembly Definition files?

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
thsbrown1@gmail.com

Will EasySave ever officially integrate Assembly Definition files?

Post by thsbrown1@gmail.com »

Hello, first off just wanted to say I'm a big fan of Easy Save, I only really have one gripe with it. That is, the lack of native integration of Assembly Definition Files.

Because Easy Save doesn't natively integrate Assembly Definitions, I have to manually add them myself. That means every time I update Easy Save, I have to be aware of the modifications I have made to it to ensure future compatibility with game code.

As far as I can tell, it looks like the move to Assembly Definition files along with Assembly Definition References should be relatively trivial to implement in Easy Save (just finished doing it in my own project). This makes me curious why Easy Save hasn't done it already, as it seems to be the future of how third party code / assets will be handled in Unity.

For reference, here is how I implemented Assembly Definition in Easy save in the hopes that it will build a bridge to their implementation in the near future :).

Adding Assembly Definition + Assembly Definition Reference Files
Adding Easy Save Assembly Definition Files to ES3 Defaults -> Assembly Names Scriptable Object
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Will EasySave ever officially integrate Assembly Definition files?

Post by Joel »

Hi there, and thanks for getting in contact.

The main reason we’ve not implemented it is backwards compatibility, as most of our user base still rely on the current structure defined by Unity. Once more of the user base migrate to newer versions of Unity we’ll incorporate it.

In the meantime we may add a button which adds the assembly definitions.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
thsbrown1@gmail.com

Post by thsbrown1@gmail.com »

Adding some sort of a button sounds like a great middle ground for maintaining backwards compatibility and adding this functionality. In fact this is exactly how DOTween does it, and it seems to work well.

To make a bit more of a case for asmdef addition to Easy Save, here are a few more reasons I'm hoping they get added ASAP.
  • Play Mode testing in unity is nearly impossible without a proper asmdef setup for game + third party asset code.
  • Easier reliance on Easy Save as a dependency in third party assets / packages (now able to reliably set Easy Save asmdef as a dependency in other asmdef files)
  • In specific instances it would lead to reduced compile times. That is, when code changes in plugin folder Easy Save code would no longer need to be recompiled.
Thanks so much for the follow up and taking the time to hear me out! Keep up the great work on the asset!
CitrioN

Post by CitrioN »

Wouldn't it be possible to simply upload the asset for the various version with and without assembly definitions?
Since you can upload different versions of the asset for different Unity version, wouldn't that help with backwards compatibility.

Also, a unity package with the assembly definition files should work in any case because then only people that need the assembly definition files can import that package with a few clicks.

I would really love to see some kind of implementation because I'm also heavily relying on assembly definition as they are essential to using custom packages. I created my own assembly files for Easy Save for now but that means I'll have to go over all the references again and replace them once it's officially part of the asset.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Asmdefs will be an official part of Easy Save in the upcoming update (3.5.4), due to be released in the next two weeks.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started