REQUEST EXAMPLES AND TUTORIALS HERE

Examples using PlayMaker. Note that to view these examples, you will need to have purchased PlayMaker.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

REQUEST EXAMPLES AND TUTORIALS HERE

Post by Joel »

Please post any suggestions for examples and tutorials in this thread.

Note that we can only create examples which only help individual people, and should be useful to most people.
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Empire

Re: REQUEST EXAMPLES AND TUTORIALS HERE

Post by Empire »

I can't imagine why everyone hasn't requested a tutorial on how once a player is selected the player is saved and then loaded at the start of a new level. How can this be accomplished with autosave or playmaker? Your autosave tutorial just says to add the ES3 autosave component to your gameobject and checkmark children. I got excited when I thought it was that easy until I realized the tutorial stopped there. So how do I load the game object in the next scene? What good is autosave doing if you can't tell it when to load? I'm seriously not understanding how to transfer a saved object to another scene. Everything I've run across has to do with just saving on application close and and loading on open. Can we please have something of a character select tutorial and then obviously loading it.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Empire wrote:I can't imagine why everyone hasn't requested a tutorial on how once a player is selected the player is saved and then loaded at the start of a new level. How can this be accomplished with autosave or playmaker? Your autosave tutorial just says to add the ES3 autosave component to your gameobject and checkmark children. I got excited when I thought it was that easy until I realized the tutorial stopped there. So how do I load the game object in the next scene? What good is autosave doing if you can't tell it when to load? I'm seriously not understanding how to transfer a saved object to another scene. Everything I've run across has to do with just saving on application close and and loading on open. Can we please have something of a character select tutorial and then obviously loading it.
Hi there,

As mentioned at the bottom of the Auto Save guide, if you want to manually trigger Auto Save, you can use the following code:
var autoSaveMgr = GameObject.Find("Easy Save 3 Manager").GetComponent<ES3AutoSaveMgr>();
// To save
autoSaveMgr.Save();
// To load
autoSaveMgr.Load();
Note that if you are loading in a difference scene, then the objects in this scene will not have the same reference IDs as the objects in the scene you saved. If you're instantiating your objects from prefabs, this will not be a problem.

However, if this is not the case, you will need to use the ES3.Save/ES3.LoadInto methods to save and load the specific Components (rather than using Auto Save to save/load the entire GameObject). Alternatively, you can use the Save and Load PlayMaker actions, found in the Easy Save 3 folder of the Action Browser.

If you require more detailed information, I would recommend making a thread in the General Discussion forum, as it sounds like your use case is specific to your project, so I would need to know more about your project.

All the best,
Joel
Empire

Post by Empire »

Hi, thanks for the reply however, this is not something specific to my project. How many games have you played where you can select a character? A basic character selection tutorial would cover a broad spectrum in many projects of all types. As you've explained in your own response you can't just use autosave for this and the playmaker example doesn't help with explaining how to load in a new scene. Like how would you even trigger the load? There is no on level start function I could find.

Furthermore, the wait for application quit states on the playmaker examples are empty, what exactly is this state doing, how would I know? Its just an empty state so it does nothing?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

I think I misunderstood what you were after. We already have save slot examples for Easy Save 2, so I'll see about adding some for Easy Save 3 and let you know when they are complete.

All the best,
Joel
uk_resistant

Post by uk_resistant »

hi there,

I am struggling to work out how to save and load an array of game objects which are in my scene and I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Thanks

Jamie D
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

uk_resistant wrote:hi there,

I am struggling to work out how to save and load an array of game objects which are in my scene and I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Thanks

Jamie D
Hi there,

Please could you make a new thread regarding this in the General Discussion forum? This thread is for example requests, but it sounds like you are having an issue.

Just to clarify, you save arrays of GameObjects just like you save any other variable in Playmaker (see this example: https://moodkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1471). If you could describe the issue you are having in the new thread you create, that would be appreciated.

All the best,
Joel
uk_resistant

Post by uk_resistant »

I guess I worded it wrong - I guess what I meant to say was i would like a example or tutorial on saving and loading arrays of gameobjects (please)
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

uk_resistant wrote:I guess I worded it wrong - I guess what I meant to say was i would like a example or tutorial on saving and loading arrays of gameobjects (please)
Hi there,

These can be saved like any other variable. So once you've created your GameObject array as a Playmaker variable, you can save it using the Save action, and load it using the Load action. You can trigger the Save action using a button, or you could have it triggered automatically using the OnApplicationQuit event. Likewise, you could call the Load action using a button, or you could call it in the Start event so it loads when the scene loads.

If you're saving prefab instances, you should add an ES3Prefab component to the original prefab.

All the best,
Joel
pierrenay

sorry to say, i am starting off confused, please help

Post by pierrenay »

playmaker tutorial please :
1. to load a CSV or text file and pass each line on to an array
2. to load a number of CSV or text files with differering names and pass on to an array

i would eventually like to use some of your cloud connect functions but i need this basic tutorial to understand workflow

thank you..