PlayMaker Spreadsheet Help

Easy Save 2 has been replaced by Easy Save 3, so is no longer supported.
Laughing Man

PlayMaker Spreadsheet Help

Post by Laughing Man »

How do I use the 'Create ES2 Spreadsheet Action' in PlayMaker? When I add the action to a state I can't figure out how to refer to create a spreadsheet where my data will be saved. The options I'm presented with is to choose an Asset or Scene. Trying to use a spreadsheet asset (I created a blank spreadsheet and dropped it into Unity's Assets) doesn't work. The other option gives me a blank list. How do I create a spreadsheet that I can use to save data to?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: PlayMaker Spreadsheet Help

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

The Create ES2 Spreadsheet action is used to create a spreadsheet which should be stored in an FSMObject variable. So first, you need to create an FSMObject variable in Playmaker's variable list and assign this to the Spreadsheet field.

Then once you've created the spreadsheet object, you can use the ES2 Spreadsheet Set Cell action to set the cells of the spreadsheet. And then once finished, use the ES2 Spreadsheet Save action to save this spreadsheet to file.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

Thank you! I've gotten the save to spreadsheet working now in PlayMaker however I can't get append to work. It seems if I toggle append on the 'ES2 Spreadsheet Save' action will never complete. Is there anyway to save data without over-writing the previous data stored? For example, if I have John Doe's data in the first row I'd like any subsequent players to be on the second row, then the third row. I have a method to update the Row, but what happens is that John Doe's data is always erased since a new spreadsheet is created each time the project runs.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Glad that managed to get you started.

You may want to try updating Easy Save from the Asset Store, and then update the Playmaker action (by going to Assets > Easy Save 2 > Enable or Update Playmaker action), as I believe the bug you are receiving was addressed in a previous update.

All the best,
Joel
krmko

Post by krmko »

Hi,

Sorry for necroing the thread, but i don't want to pollute the forums with redundant topics :)

I'm having a few hundred global variables in playmaker and it ia getting a bit tedious tweaking them in unity, so the spreadsheet saving comes in quite handy.

However, i have to manually select the variable and assign the cell which is but that handy for the purpose i need.

Any simple way of exporting all the globals to spreadsheet?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

I've modified the Save All action to output to a spreadsheet, which I'll include in the next update. In the meantime, if you PM me your email address and invoice number I'll send you the updated PlayMaker action right away.

All the best,
Joel
krmko

Post by krmko »

Thank you very much, works great!
krmko

Post by krmko »

One more question please, since it exports the variables in a comma delimited file and i import them into spreadsheet software in two columns, should i load them back to unity that way or i need to get them back to a comma delimited file?
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

It's not currently possible to load the data back into Unity as a spreadsheet as CSV format isn't designed for deserializing data.

If you want to parse the data yourself, you can use the Load Raw String action to load the entire file as a string, and then you can use PlayMaker's String Split action to split the file at each comma. Then you would need to iterate over value and convert it to something useful.

Alternatively, if you simply need to modify the file yourself you could save the data in Easy Save's format (i.e. not in a spreadsheet) and then use the File Editor to edit the file.

All the best,
Joel
krmko

Post by krmko »

Hello Joel,

thanks once again for the quick answer. Most important thing is that i can export the variables to spreadsheet for analysis, and then edit the data in the file editor which is quite handy (sorry, didn't read the manual thoroughly so i missed it).

Cheers!