Windows Phone 8 limitations

Easy Save 2 has been replaced by Easy Save 3, so is no longer supported.
sgoffman

Windows Phone 8 limitations

Post by sgoffman »

Per the FAQ, folders and encryption aren't supported on Windows Phone 8. However, I'm not currently getting any errors reported from code that is using those features; can you clarify whether ES2 does any internal automatic error-handling for those cases that I can lean on, or should I assume that they're failing silently?

Also, regarding encryption: Is it disabled due to the (bizarre) lack of support for System.Security.Cryptography.MD5 on WP8? If so, do you have any plans to allow for alternate crypto options, either user-provided or switching to System.Security.Cryptography.SHA256Managed?

Thanks!

-Scott
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Windows Phone 8 limitations

Post by Joel »

Hi Scott,

It looks like Unity have fixed the bug at their end, so encryption is now working again. As you suggest, it uses SHA encryption, whereas the rest of Easy Save uses AES, so save files created in WP8 and Metro won't work on other platforms. I'll add info to the FAQ and WP8/Metro pages regarding this.

Also we use an MD5 library instead of System.Security.Cryptography.MD5 to get around the fact that WP8 doesn't support MD5 (we're equally bemused about Microsoft's decision not to include it). It's only used in the web functionality to hash passwords, so that's independent of file encryption.

With regards to using paths with folders, it will ignore the folder path and just use the filename. So myFolder/myFile.txt and myFile.txt will save to the same place. We've not included support for folders because the way in which IsolatedStorage handles them is extremely convoluted and difficult to debug, so we'd rather spend the time on adding other, more essential features.

All the best,
Joel
sgoffman

Post by sgoffman »

Great, thanks for the info, that helps a lot.
Joel wrote: With regards to using paths with folders, it will ignore the folder path and just use the filename. So myFolder/myFile.txt and myFile.txt will save to the same place. We've not included support for folders because the way in which IsolatedStorage handles them is extremely convoluted and difficult to debug, so we'd rather spend the time on adding other, more essential features.
Makes sense. But one suggestion: In cases where ES2 is passed a folder/file path, convert the full string to a filename, e.g. "myFolder/myFile.txt" would save to "myFolder_myFile.txt" and prevent any file conflicts. It may be too late to make that the default behavior due to existing usages, in which case I'll add my own fix-up function to do it.

Thanks,

-Scott
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Thanks for the suggestion Scott, we'll consider doing this in a future release. If there's demand for it, we might even add the folder functionality in full.

All the best,
Joel