Start encryption for released game

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
danosono

Start encryption for released game

Post by danosono »

Hi,

I have a released game with no encryption and have had trouble with cheaters from day one.

My second game, I didn't even make leaderboards lol but I did encrypt lolx2.

In hindsight, seeing the file for my first game and how easy it is to change the unencrypted file and close the game to change the leaderboard,

SKIP TO HERE FOR - The actual question:
Is there a stable method to add encryption (or obfuscation) after a game is released?

After word.
Safest thing I can think is to save encrypted under new keys and let the other keys become obsolete. Included in the saves is a dictionary<string, class> with up to 15,000 entries.

Thanks!!
Notso

Re: Start encryption for released game

Post by Notso »

Encryption is an option in both the default settings page of S3 and by code
https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es ... mpression/
I would imagine you could just turn it on and the next save would use encryption without issues.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

danosono wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:16 am Hi,

I have a released game with no encryption and have had trouble with cheaters from day one.

My second game, I didn't even make leaderboards lol but I did encrypt lolx2.

In hindsight, seeing the file for my first game and how easy it is to change the unencrypted file and close the game to change the leaderboard,

SKIP TO HERE FOR - The actual question:
Is there a stable method to add encryption (or obfuscation) after a game is released?

After word.
Safest thing I can think is to save encrypted under new keys and let the other keys become obsolete. Included in the saves is a dictionary<string, class> with up to 15,000 entries.

Thanks!!
Hi there,

You wouldn't be able to enable encryption without either invaliding the unencrypted data, or allowing both unencrypted and encrypted data to be loaded (which defies the point of having encryption). This is due to the inherent nature of encryption rather than something we could work around at our end.

A middleground might be to allow them to encrypt their data once and then set a PlayerPrefs key indicating that the data has been encrypted, disabling this functionality in the future. However, the users could just manipulate the key which PlayerPrefs creates in the registry (but this is at least more difficult than modifying an unencrypted file).

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
danosono

Post by danosono »

Thanks very much!

Not a big deal; just thought I should at least ask.

I have implemented some limits on what can be stored to the leaderboards; should have done that before too.

love and joy and peace and life and light and peace and grace to you
danosono