Black text in ver 2.8.5

Easy Save 2 has been replaced by Easy Save 3, so is no longer supported.
Lehha95

Black text in ver 2.8.5

Post by Lehha95 »

I add Easy Save 2.8.5 and found that all texts changed color to black
In version 2.8.4 this problem does not exist
Attachments
Снимок экрана (299).png
Снимок экрана (299).png (176.28 KiB) Viewed 14803 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Black text in ver 2.8.5

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

We've encountered this before and it turns out that it's a bug at Unity's end which sometimes happens when refreshing assets, as happens when you import an asset from the Asset Store.

There's a solution in this post on the Unity forums: https://forum.unity.com/threads/all-ui- ... st-2289169
I solved that this way:

1. Make new material
2. Set shader in that material to "UI/Default Font" (without any parameter changes, leave without texture)
3. Apply that new material to every text component (Hierarchy > search > by type > text, select all and apply material)

After that, all texts get colors.
All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi again,

We've found a simpler workaround for this. Firstly, to stop this happening in the future we've created a workaround which will be included in the next update (2.8.5f1). In the meantime if anyone requires this workaround, PM me your invoice number and I'll send it over.

To fix any existing GUI texts you can simply go to the Canvas Scaler component attached to the Canvas, and change it's Scale Factor field, and then change it back to it's original value. I've attached a screenshot of the field you need to change below.
CapturFiles_1.png
CapturFiles_1.png (55.07 KiB) Viewed 14790 times
All the best,
Joel
m_drunk

Post by m_drunk »

Cross-posting here a little, but none of these workarounds work for me with the current version. Works fine for the scene view, but Play reverts it all back to black.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

This issue was fixed in version 3.0 and we've had no reports of it on this version, so if you haven't done so already please try updating from the Asset Store.

If you are indeed using 3.0, please could you PM me a project which replicates this.

All the best,
Joel
m_drunk

Post by m_drunk »

Well now I am definitely on 3 and it is still happening. I'll try to trim this project down so I can send it.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Thanks for sending the project over, much appreciated.

This is indeed still the bug at Unity's end which they have not yet fixed, and it doesn't look like we'll be able to work around it in this case. I'm not entirely sure why this is happening in this project but not others.

However, if you go to Window > Easy Save 3 > Settings and deselect Auto Update References, this will make the problem stop happening (this checkbox is only available in the update I've PM'd you). You may need to occasionally go to the Easy Save 3 Manager GameObject in your scene and press the Refresh References button on the ES3ReferenceMgr component if there are references which might need to be saved.

Also another quick note: you can turn all of the text back to it's original colour by reimporting your TREBUCBD font.

Would I be allowed to use the project you sent me in a bug report I'm sending to Unity?

All the best,
Joel
m_drunk

Post by m_drunk »

Sure. Go ahead. I'll try this out. Thank you.
m_drunk

Post by m_drunk »

I do believe this update and un-checking that box has fixed my issue. Thank you.
hawken

Post by hawken »

Hi I'm having the same problem, I hit the checkbox "auto update references" and it's stopped turning all the text black.

If you modify the base material colour for ui elements in Unity it will apply this to all ui elements, for example text.material.black will convert all text in your project to black. Could this perhaps be the problem in easy save?