Auto Save does not work

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
Patrick.Rainer

Auto Save does not work

Post by Patrick.Rainer »

Hello All

I implemented AutoSave by adding as component to a simple game object with a transform and a simple class with strings and integers.

But nothing happens on restarting the game. I can see the SaveFile will be generated and has some data about the transform. But no data will be loaded. What could be wrong?

I made a short Video with the settings. https://youtu.be/QpU97c0SZaU

Thanks for help.

Patrick
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Auto Save does not work

Post by Joel »

Hi Patrick,

In your scene you seem to have a GameObject called AutoSaveManager. Just to confirm, is there an ES3AutoSaveMgr script attached to this?

The Auto Save manager script is already attached to the Easy Save 3 Manager GameObject, so adding one to another GameObject will cause clashes between the two managers.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please could you PM me a project which replicates this?

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Patrick.Rainer

Post by Patrick.Rainer »

Hi Joel

I made a new project and imported Easy Save and made a few tests. I have read all your guides on your website, but sorry i still have some simple question because I found no answer for these questions.

Auto-Save:
1. The Auto-save saves onliy the GameObject itself, without any components, except transform? My component with just simple members will be not saved or loaded.
2. The Auto-Save creates on load a new object of the GameGame object which I added AutoSave. Is this the normal behaviour?

Manual-Save
I save a class with simple members. The "Texture" member will be saved, but the "Texture2D" Member will not be saved. I read that images have to saved seperately. Does this mean I have to save every image object in a project separately and can not save it within my own type?

I hope it is clear what I mean, the easiest look shortly into my example Project.

Thanks for helping.
Patrick
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi Patrick,

I deleted the link from your post as this would allow anyone to download the Easy Save package. In the future if you could PM me projects that would be appreciated :)

With regards to your project, it appears to have been created with 2019.3 which isn't yet an official release by Unity. We can only currently support official releases, so we are unable to open your project without errors. Would it be possible to try with the latest version of Unity 2019.2 and see if the issue still occurs?

Just to confirm, have you seen the Auto Save guide found here?
https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es ... hout-code/

If not, you may have missed the note at the top which recommends you take a look at the Saving and Loading GameObjects/Prefabs guide to see what gets saved when Auto Save is called:
https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es ... s-prefabs/

If the GameObject you attached the Auto Save to does not exist when it comes to load, it will attempt to create it.

Texture2D fields will be saved by reference, assuming that a reference to that Texture2D exists in that scene prior to runtime. If you want to save any changes made to the pixel data of a Texture2D, you will need to save it separately using ES3.Save so that it is saved by value.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Patrick.Rainer

Post by Patrick.Rainer »

Hi Joel

Thank you the switching back to 2019.2.10 helped to fix the main issue.

Even then are some things there are not absolutely clear. May be I'll come back later with some questions, and will decide if I will use it in our project.

Thanks for help so far.

Patrick