Playmaker Issue with ES3 Spreadsheet Create/Load/Get Cell

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
TipOfTheDay

Playmaker Issue with ES3 Spreadsheet Create/Load/Get Cell

Post by TipOfTheDay »

Hi folks!

I'm experiencing a very odd issue and hope you might be able to share some guidance please.

I'm building a game in Unity using Playmaker. I'm specifically using the ES3 Spreadsheet Create / Load / Get Cell Actions to populate text in-game.

Play-testing in Unity, these actions work perfectly as expected - no issues at all.
When I Build-For-Desktop, these actions work perfectly as expected - no issues at all.
As soon as I Build-For-Android, these actions all seem to just fail? No values load at all.

I believe the .CSV files are properly inside the build package because the Desktop version works properly (and I'm not making any changes in Unity between builds). So just trying to troubleshoot, the only thing I can wonder is if there's some kind of issue with Android and these specific Playmaker Actions? Or maybe a special setup/consideration I need to accommodate for them to work properly?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Playmaker Issue with ES3 Spreadsheet Create/Load/Get Cell

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

That’s very strange. Please could you replicate this in a new scene with a simple FSM and send over some screenshots so I can replicate it at my end.

Are you using any events such as OnApplicationQuit? Not all events are called on mobile devices, which is the only real difference between Android and other platforms in Unity.

I also recommend putting a Debug Log action alongside each of your Easy Save actions to ensure they’re being called.
believe the .CSV files are properly inside the build package because the Desktop version works properly
Just to clarify (though I think I might be misunderstanding you), no save files will be included with a build unless you put them in a Resources folder and load them from there. If you’re expecting the save file from your Editor to be included in your Android build, this could be the issue.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
TipOfTheDay

Post by TipOfTheDay »

Thanks so much for the prompt reply!

No problem with screenshots. I've attached them here.

A quick note:I'm using a free asset from Unity for a basic frame for the game (in case that matters). Only doing this because. . . . I still don't know how to properly setup Unity for a 2D space :s I've been piggy-backing off assets already setup for all the canvas/screen resolution stuff. Hopefully that doesn't matter. Maybe it's even easier to recreate my problem as all the assets are available (I've created absolutely nothing)?

This is the asset: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/t ... ate-143382

Img 1: Here's the basic layout. Only 1 FSM setup as a manager. The text I'm looking to update is in the middle with a "0". You can also see my folder structure on the side holding the CSV file with my data (this is what I meant early, hope that makes more sense!)
Img 2: Just showing how I setup the spreadsheet, step-by-step.
Img 3: Showing how I'm calling a specific cell from that spreadsheet.
Img 4: Showing how I'm setting the text value from the spreadsheet.
Img 5: The result when I hit play in Unity. The text should, and does, load right away.
Img 6: The result when I then immediately build for Android and load the .apk on my phone

As I mentioned earlier, when I build this to Desktop instead of Android, it works! The lettering shows up just fine. I just can't seem to figure out why it won't load for Android?

EDIT: Sorry! I should have been more clear, the word "ACED" in the center of the screen is what's missing from the Android build. It might be obvious, but those are also pretty big screenshots so just in case, I realized it might not have been clear.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (85.45 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (125.39 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (295.09 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Last edited by TipOfTheDay on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TipOfTheDay

Post by TipOfTheDay »

(additional images from previous post - upload limit reached)
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (135.84 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (161.81 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (380.22 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You’re using a Windows file path in your action which won’t be valid on Android.

The only place guaranteed to be readable and writable on Android is the PersistentDataPath, which Easy save uses by default if you use a relative path.

If you want a file to be included with the build, you should use Unity’s Resources functionality:

https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es ... resources/

All the best,
Joel
TipOfTheDay

Post by TipOfTheDay »

Thank-you very much. You're a life saver!!!!

Your advice to save my files in the Resources folder and then use a relative path for those files in the PlayMaker actions was exactly what I needed to resolve this.

I would consider this issue solved, thanks again! :)
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Glad I could help, let me know if you run into any other issues :)

All the best,
Joel