Problems with AutoSave

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
indoflaven

Problems with AutoSave

Post by indoflaven »

Unity Version: 2021.2.14f1

Hello - First off, I've used EasySave on multiple previous projects using the API to save/load specific data. Worked great.

For my new project I wanted to try the AutoSave feature to automatically save and load scene state. My experience using it has been quite poor which makes me think maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe there's a compatibility issue with my Unity version (2021.2.14f1). Here is my experience:

-On the AutoSave tab I see the full list of the hundreds of gameobjects in my scene. There does not seem to be a way to collapse the hierarchy or filter out gameobjects that I will never need to save state on (Search works but I don't want to have to remember which objects I'm working with or scroll through the huge list).
-The simplest thing I want to do is this: Remember the active state of a gameobject and then restore it. Firstly, clicking on the "active" check box DOES NOT change the color of gameobject's disk icon in the hierarchy! This means I have no way to see at a glance which gameobjects I have touched when looking at the huge hierarchy list! This alone is a deal breaker. If I check on the active flag and then a week later forget that I did this, there's no way to see at a glance that this is toggled when looking at the AutoSave hierarchy. This must be a bug. Toggling "transform" or any of the other components on the gameobject WILL color the icon
-When I check the "active" checkbox for my gameobject I would expect the AutoSave feature to save a reference to the object and the active state only. Instead, it also stores data for all the components of the gameobject even though none of these are checked! For example, I have a gameobject with a particle system on it, but only want to store the active state of the gameobject, so I JUST checked the "active" checkbox. Instead it stores the active state, plus all the transform data, plus all the data for the particle system. The resulting file is 50+kb! This must be a bug right? Why is it saving this extra data when the other components are unchecked in the AutoSave window?

I will try uninstalling EasySave and reinstalling, but wanted to see if any of this sounds right to you.

*Update*
I am seeing the same behavior on fresh projects for 2021.2.15f1, 2020.3.21f1, 2019.4.31f1. Is this intended functionality, am I doing something wrong, or is this feature bugged?

Thanks,
-Mike
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Problems with AutoSave

Post by Joel »

Hi Mike, and thanks for getting in contact.
On the AutoSave tab I see the full list of the hundreds of gameobjects in my scene. There does not seem to be a way to collapse the hierarchy or filter out gameobjects that I will never need to save state on (Search works but I don't want to have to remember which objects I'm working with or scroll through the huge list).
We have a feature request for this here which you can vote on:
https://moodkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... Save#p8324
Firstly, clicking on the "active" check box DOES NOT change the color of gameobject's disk icon in the hierarchy! This means I have no way to see at a glance which gameobjects I have touched when looking at the huge hierarchy list! This alone is a deal breaker. If I check on the active flag and then a week later forget that I did this, there's no way to see at a glance that this is toggled when looking at the AutoSave hierarchy. This must be a bug. Toggling "transform" or any of the other components on the gameobject WILL color the icon
This is indeed a bug and is resolved in our upcoming update (the current update is the first version to allow you to choose the active state of the GameObject, previously the active state was automatically saved if any Components were selected). If you private message me your invoice number I'll send over this update.
Instead, it also stores data for all the components of the gameobject even though none of these are checked! For example, I have a gameobject with a particle system on it, but only want to store the active state of the gameobject, so I JUST checked the "active" checkbox. Instead it stores the active state, plus all the transform data, plus all the data for the particle system. The resulting file is 50+kb! This must be a bug right? Why is it saving this extra data when the other components are unchecked in the AutoSave window?
This is also a bug resolved in the upcoming update due to it being a new feature.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
indoflaven

Post by indoflaven »

Thanks for your response. I've DMed you to request the latest update.

Regarding the collapsible hierarchy, this would would be nice, and I've voted for this feature. However, a related feature which be good in addition or instead of a collapsing hierarchy would be: a check box that filters the hierarchy to show only those gameobjects which you've set up AutoSave on. This way you could use the full hierarchy to setup new gameobjects but then use the filtered list to see your setup and make tweaks.

Thanks again,
-Mike
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi Mike,

I've expanded that feature request to include searching of the hierarchy as it would make sense for us to tackle both at the same time, and shouldn't significantly affect the complexity of the feature request.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started