Best practice for saving FSM Variables on Playmaker Template

Easy Save 2 has been replaced by Easy Save 3, so is no longer supported.
gumbomasta

Best practice for saving FSM Variables on Playmaker Template

Post by gumbomasta »

Hi,

As a new user of Easy Save, I'd like to know what you'd recommend being the best practice in saving unique variable data for objects that use Playmaker FSM Templates. Keep in mind, at runtime, they no longer are templates, and are simply identical FSM component objects that still allow for unique variables.

My game makes ample use of Playmaker templates, and depending on the template, there will be ten-twenty of them in a given scene. While these templates contain unique variable data, they share the same names of variables, given their nature as templates.

Using the Save All command inside playmaker doesn't seem to work for me, as it overwrites the target file of whichever template got saved last, resulting in identical saved variable data across all the objects that share the template. Saving individual variables cause a similar problem, as they all seem to be overwriting each other, even with unique tags.

The approach that comes to mind right now is to save each FSM into it's own unique text file, but I'm wondering if there's a more elegant way. I'm imagining quite a lot of .txt files being generated as a result of this.

Guidance appreciated,

-g
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Best practice for saving FSM Variables on Playmaker Temp

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Due to the limitations of Playmaker, the only way to currently do this would be to save each to a separate file.

This would also benefit performance, as it will only need to load the required data, rather than loading all data and only reading from a small portion of that data.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
gumbomasta

Re: Best practice for saving FSM Variables on Playmaker Temp

Post by gumbomasta »

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure that was the most effective / not-reckless solution.

-g