Easy Save 3 Questions

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
JimBury

Easy Save 3 Questions

Post by JimBury »

Hey guys,
I'm using Easy Save 3 right now (with only the autosave stuff) and its all working great, I had some questions about some other bits though :D

Will Easy Save 3's autosave feature be able to handle multi-scene projects?
Would it be possible to move a saved object from one scene to another loaded scene and still have it save and load the object correctly in the new scene?

Thanks for any help/advice you have!
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Easy Save 3 Questions

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Auto Save should be able to handle multi-scene projects, but it's not possible to save in one scene and load in another because the instance IDs will not exist in the other scene.

In this case you would need to use the ES3.Save methods to manually save and load the data, and assign it back to the correct instance IDs.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
JimBury

Post by JimBury »

Great, I think I should be able to work around this using SceneManager.MoveGameObjectToScene, or maybe even the Easy Save Prefab save/instantiate stuff!

Is it possible to override something on the autoSaveMgr when loading, to check if the key for the object exists, and if it doesnt - it actually deletes/removes the object from the scene? (otherwise it would save/load as normal)?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Unfortunately objects not existing in the save data does not always mean that the object has been destroyed. Is there any reason the script I posted wouldn't work for you? :)

All the best,
Joel
JimBury

Post by JimBury »

Huh, you're right - I've been looking at this the wrong way...

So if I have two scenes, and I want to take an object from one scene to another, I could disable it in the first scene with setactive(false) and then save that scene, then load the next scene, instantiate a prefab into that new scene (with prefab saving support) and then save the new scene... Sounds like it should work?

Seems too simple, I'm nervous :D
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

Saving and loading as a prefab should work, as long as that prefab doesn't reference any objects in that scene.

All the best,
Joel