Source Control Problem: References bloating up Scene-File

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
nincara

Source Control Problem: References bloating up Scene-File

Post by nincara »

Hey there,

I implemented EasySave 3 into my project and I'm also using Plastic SCM for Source Control. The problem is in the Scene File, where all the references are stored with Keys and Values
img2.png
img2.png (15.81 KiB) Viewed 975 times
The problem is, I have over 110k entries in Keys and Values and the Source Control puts the Keys all in one line...
img3.png
img3.png (394.82 KiB) Viewed 975 times
img1.png
img1.png (210.56 KiB) Viewed 975 times
So Plastic is completely bloated. I can't ignore this in Source Control cause it happens in the Scene File. And everytime I enter Playmode, the entries are updated and so they are also updated in Source Control.
Is there a way to disable the automatic refresh of references or to put them in a seperate file so I can put it on ignore list?

Thanks for your help.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Source Control Problem: References bloating up Scene-File

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You can disable automatic refreshing of references by going to Window > Easy Save 3 > Settings and uncheck Auto Update References.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
nincara

Post by nincara »

Hey, thanks for the fast feedback.

I think I did explain it a bit wrong. The core problem is the references appearing in the Scene File and then in the Source Control. What I want is to move the references to somehow a different file so I can put it on ignore list.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kind regards
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

The references are part of the scene, so it wouldn't be possible to move them to a separate file as Unity wouldn't be able to resolve them. This is a limitation of Unity rather than a limitation at our end.

The only alternative would be to disable automatic updating of the reference manager and manually managing them. You can manually add a reference to the manager by right-clicking it in the Scene hierarchy or Assets, and selecting Easy Save 3 > Add Reference to Manager.

All the best,
Joel
nincara

Post by nincara »

Hey there,

thanks for your answer and your time. So I found an actual solution, maybe. I made a prefab out of the Easy Save Manager and generate this Prefab OnAwake() in my scene. Now there are only ~1700 References in the manager on runtime. If I have it in my scene normally without instantiating there are about 5k - 6k references. But the way I have it now, my saving works normally like before and I dont have problems with my source controlls.

So my question is: Is this way of using the manager legit or are there any hidden problems that may occur in future that you know of?

Kind regards
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

This solution will only work in the Editor because references can only be added from the Editor. If your main aim is to reduce the number of references in the manager then the method mentioned in my previous message is the best way to do this.

All the best,
Joel