Game updating deletes Easysave scores

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
Scritch75

Game updating deletes Easysave scores

Post by Scritch75 »

Hi there,

I'm developing a quiz game that saves user scores. I'm still in the process of developping the game and having it tested by friends, but I realize something quite problematic:

When I release new version of my games, all my testers update it through Testflight or via APK, and they tell me that their scores gets back to 0.

As you can imagine, I use Easysave 3 to save the scores, and I don't update anything related to score saving when I do updates.

I am really afraid that whenever I will need to update my game in production (that will surely happen at some point), all my real players will have the same problem and loose their score - not acceptable situation.

Do you have any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Game updating deletes Easysave scores

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

We store data to Unity's persistent data path, so this is controlled at Unity's end rather than ours.

Generally data being deleted is caused because the GUID/Bundle Identifier for the build changes (which would mean it's storing to a different path). For more information please see Unity's Application.persistentDataPath guide:

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReferenc ... aPath.html

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
Scritch75

Post by Scritch75 »

Thanks for your fast answer!

So do you advise something in particular when updating my app? Should I keep the same "Bundle version code" in Unity?

What's your best practice on that? I guess I'm not the only one with this need.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

You should keep your Bundle ID the same, otherwise the OS will consider it to be a different app and allocate a separate storage folder for it.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started