Issue when swtiching to Binary_Alpha

Discussion and help for Easy Save 3
sbmhome

Issue when swtiching to Binary_Alpha

Post by sbmhome »

First off, your documentation does not provide any information regarding the "Advanced Settings". PLEASE update the documentation with detailed explantions and examples...I could work thru issues if I knew what certain features did and WHY I would want to change them.

I am currently saving my data as JSON. Whenever I switch to Binary_Alpha OR encryption, I start to get errors. (I always make sure I delete the currrent game save file...so it's not a wrong format issue).

I've given up on encryption...so I just need help getting it to work with Binary_Alpha.

When I switch to Binary_Alpha...my code fails on the IF condition when the below code is run. Apparently a new consumbablesIds is not created when its missing in the file. I know I can do a null check on consumableIds...but WHY is it failing when switching formats? Is saving dictionaries allowed with binary files? If not, why doesn't the document state that?

Code: Select all

Dictionary<string, string> consumableIds = ES3.Load("CONSUMEABLE_DICTIONARY", GameSettings.Instance.gameSaveFile, new Dictionary<string, string>());
        if (consumableIds.ContainsKey(id)) {
Please let me know what are the below fields are for.

Buffer Size ...Why or when would I need to increase this?

Serialize Unity Object Fields
Why would I use Ref?
Why would I use Value?
Why would I use Ref And Value?

Serialzation Depth...Why or when would I need to increase this?

I've attached an example of the gameSave file.
Attachments
MedicalTent.txt
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Re: Issue when swtiching to Binary_Alpha

Post by Joel »

Hi there, and thanks for getting in contact.

If it’s not documented then it means it’s for internal use and should not be changed. For example binary_alpha will not do what you expect and is even removed from newer versions of Easy Save. You can find a list of documented settings here, however there is very rarely any reason to change Advanced Settings and if in doubt you should leave them as default:

https://docs.moodkie.com/easy-save-3/es ... ngs-class/

Regarding your encryption issues, if you’re able to replicate this in a new project with a simple scene using the latest version of Easy Save and private message it to me then I’m happy to look into this further. Also have you tried deleting your save data (Tools > Easy Save 3 > Clear PersistentDataPath)? It could be that your save data currently contains unencrypted data.

All the best,
Joel
Joel @ Moodkie Interactive
Purchase Easy Save | Contact | Guides | Docs | Getting started
sbmhome

Post by sbmhome »

As I mentioned in my first post I always make sure I delete my current game save file when I turn encryption on and off). Is that not the same as (Tools > Easy Save 3 > Clear PersistentDataPath)?

I can update to the latest version so see if that resolved the issue (although I'm a bit wary as I'm 2 days away from submitting my game)...but were saving/loading data from dictionaries ever a problem that got fixed in a previous release?

Also, I updated to the latest release and I still see "Advanced Settings".
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Hi there,

There are numerous fixes in every update so I strongly recommend updating. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, please could you replicate your issue in a new project with a simple scene and private message it to me with instructions.

All the best,
Joel
sbmhome

Post by sbmhome »

I just updated to the latest version. It now seems to be working.
Joel
Moodkie Staff

Post by Joel »

Glad that's working for you now. Let me know if you run into any other issues and I'll be happy to look into them for you.

All the best,
Joel